[Histonet] VIP Problem

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 21:18:16 CDT 2006

I bet it's the rotary valve. For the longest time we were getting formalin
in our xylenes. Turned out to be the rotary valve.  Good luck.

Joe Nocito BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, TX
----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurie Colbert" <laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:37 PM
Subject: [Histonet] VIP Problem

We had a problem with our VIP 5 the other night, and our service rep can't
find anything wrong with it.  There is no error code showing to indicate
what might have happened.  I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar
problem.

When the pathologist put the blocks on the processor on Sunday, she said the
retort was very hot - hotter than usual.  When our tech went in Monday
morning, he said the formalin smell was overbearing when he opened the
retort.  The blocks had been in paraffin, but they looked dry and they were
not processed well at all (we had to reprocess everything).  We add eosin to
the 95% alcohol so that the tissue will be colored, but the tissue was not
colored at all on this day, so we're pretty sure they didn't go into the 95%
alcohol - and probably not into any of the alcohols.  We also discovered a
little bit of formalin in the last paraffin.

I've heard of condensation forming on the lid of the retort and dripping
down into the solutions, and this may have happened, but something else also
happened.  Does anyone have any ideas??

Laurie Colbert
Huntington Hospital