[Histonet] VIP Problem

Patricia Karlisch pkarlisch <@t> psu.edu
Wed Aug 30 18:01:59 CDT 2006

Laurie,
  Did you try to do a 1minute run through each reagent to see if the
machine is pumping correctly?  We have 3 VIP's and have not had this
problem yet.   Pat Karlisch

Pat Karlisch
Supervisor, Histology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Mail Code H179
Hershey, PA 17033
Phone (717) 531-6072
Fax: (717) 531- 7741
email: pkarlisch <@t> psu.edu

*****E-Mail Confidentiality Notice*****
This message (including any attachments) contains information intended
for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to
applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply
to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from
your system immediately.

>>> "Laurie Colbert" <laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com> 8/30/2006
2:37 PM >>>

We had a problem with our VIP 5 the other night, and our service rep
can't find anything wrong with it.  There is no error code showing to
indicate what might have happened.  I'm wondering if anyone has had a
similar problem.

When the pathologist put the blocks on the processor on Sunday, she
said the retort was very hot - hotter than usual.  When our tech went in
Monday morning, he said the formalin smell was overbearing when he
opened the retort.  The blocks had been in paraffin, but they looked dry
and they were not processed well at all (we had to reprocess
everything).  We add eosin to the 95% alcohol so that the tissue will be
colored, but the tissue was not colored at all on this day, so we're
pretty sure they didn't go into the 95% alcohol - and probably not into
any of the alcohols.  We also discovered a little bit of formalin in the
last paraffin.

I've heard of condensation forming on the lid of the retort and
dripping down into the solutions, and this may have happened, but
something else also happened.  Does anyone have any ideas??

Laurie Colbert
Huntington Hospital