[Histonet] rat femur histopath

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Aug 29 14:29:12 CDT 2006

Missy,

Any acid decalcifier should work fine, we use 10% formic acid but you need
to do endpoint determinations to make sure the bone and soft tissues are
not ruined by the effects of overexposure to acid aka
overdecalcification.   Rinse the bones for a few hours, process longer into
paraffin unless you are bisecting the femurs.  We did our rat femurs for 2
hours per station on a VIP, and use Tissue Prep 2, a harder paraffin that
is better for sectioning for rat femurs and whole rat knees.

I have a quick weight loss/weight gain endpoint determination that works
well if you do not have a FAXITRON to xray for endpoint, or do not want to
do a chemical endpoint test - you can do that too.

At 12:57 PM 8/29/2006, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am looking for a procedure for delcalcifying rat femur.  I want to
>visualize and quantify BM fibrosis using Gomori stain.  If anyone has a good
>protocol please let me know.
>
>Thank you
>Melissa Aycock
>bayoubelle311 <@t> gmail.com