[Histonet] marking a tissue block

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Thu Aug 17 09:28:33 CDT 2006

India ink, available at any art supply store, can be applied to the external
surface of a tissue sample. It is unaffected by the processing solvents. It
diesn't penetrate into the tissue, so it doesn't interfere with any
subsequent staining techniques. If it is applied to what will be the "sides"
of the sample when it is embedded, then it will appear in the section as a
thin black line on the outer surface. So, sor example, if you are cutting a
longitudinal section of a rat intestine, and you want to keep track of which
end is proximal and which end is distal, apply ink around one end of the
intestine, and when sectioned that end can be identified by the black
outline, without interfering with the view of the tissue itself.

Tissue should be removed from the fixative, blotted with paper towels until
it is just damp. Otherwise the ink will run all over the place. I apply the
ink with a thin wooden applicator stick, let it sit on the tissue for about
10-15 seconds, then blot the ink with the paper towel and return the
specimen to the fixative.