[Histonet] Question about molecular sieves for EtOh

Philip Oshel oshel1pe <@t> cmich.edu
Wed Aug 16 07:38:51 CDT 2006

René,

Anhydrous copper sulfate works, but it has a
worse dust problem than does molecular sieve.
Also, molecular sieve can hold 3 to 4 times more
water (on a weight basis) than can copper sulfate.
Copper sulfate is cheaper, but in the long run, I
think sieve is cheaper. Buy 5 pound cans from
e.g. Fisher.
Note: don't buy either of these with indicator!
The indicator dye dissolves in the alcohol.
Both can be regenerated (dried) in a 200 deg C
oven for 3 hours or so, then re-used.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel