[Histonet] paraffin wax

Anne Van Binsbergen vanann702 <@t> skmc.gov.ae
Thu Aug 10 12:16:57 CDT 2006

another quick question
i was taught that it is not a good idea to leave tissue in molten wax for extended periods of time - my rule of thumb has always been 4 hours max for an 'average' size tissue and half of that for a very small biopsy.
we have a VIP5 and a very important sample (lymph node) has been left in the machine for over 7 hours before embedding, by a 'tardy' tech. wax baths set to 59 celcius.
i am seriously concerned that the tissue could have been damaged by prolonged exposure to heat.
any comments - or am i being paranoid :-)
annie