[Histonet] Diff Quick

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Thu Apr 20 08:17:57 CDT 2006

We run a one-step FNAC breast clinic and have been using Diff-Quick as our
stain; I personally don't like it as I prefer Paps but there you are. We had
a recent FNAC that showed histiocytes in the tail of the prep but little
else. As you know the bubbly cells tend to migrate to the edges as they are
lighter but what we initially failed to notice was that in amongst the blood
were poorly stained clumps of cells. After restain with a 'proper'
Romanovsky stain they magically appeared and were benign. I shudder to think
what would have happened if they had not been spotted and had been
malignant. The problem I guess was the blood and together with the slow
drying of the smear.

Diff-Quick is fast but can have this effect, does anyone have a technique
that is nearly as fast as Diff Quick but more robust in these cases?

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

Through return to simple living comes control of desires. In control of
desires stillness is attained. In stillness the world is restored. -- Lao
Tzu

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform
me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your
co-operation