[Histonet] liver damage detection

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 7 00:19:36 CDT 2006

Dear Histonetters,

I am working on an experimental model of viral liver damage.  Does
anyone have suggestions as to how I should best proceed in
establishing the type or extent of damage caused?  I don't expect
damage to the extent that the mice die or even show any overt signs
of illness.  There is no noticeable gross change in the liver.

Ideally I would like to establish a biochemical marker of damage such
as serum ALT as well as a morphological analysis.  I figure an H&E
stain would be enough.  I would like to use NBF fixed tissue.  Are
there any suggestions as to the thickness of the liver sections?  I
can reliably section 30 um, anything thinner would require special
arrangements.

Any suggestions for a kit to measure ALT?  A colleague suggested that
I submit the samples to the hospital's diagnostic lab, but would they
be able to detect mouse ALT?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have never worked with liver
damage, so I really don't know what to do here.

Thanks in advance,

Caroline