Enzyme method for Re: [Histonet] Soft tissue digestion

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Sep 28 12:22:12 CDT 2005

I used to digest soft tissue off skulls, long bones for museum teaching
pieces using an enzyme detergent.  Make up 10 to 20% BIZ detergent in
water, heat to 80C in waterbath, and put bones, whatever in this for
several hours.  It will even remove fixed tissue (if you rinse it well with
water before hand as NBF could inactivate the enzyme a bit.  Do NOT boil.
Rinse well with water afterwards, and soft tissue will release from bone,
whatever.  Beware, it will eat cartilage off bones. You can repeat until
the implant is clean.  Try to manipulate soft tissues off with gloved
hands, or soft brushes.  Best part of all this, is isn't smelly, and bones
come out perfectly clean and white.

I have a reference for this from J Microscopy, many moons ago.