PAS staining RE: [Histonet] Frozen tissue washing from slide

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Sep 28 10:46:26 CDT 2005

With frozen sections, a gentle rinse is advisable.  We cut frozen sections
destined for routine stains and go directly to room temperature NBF - air
drying is not really necessary for routine stains but is for
immunostaiing.  Let your frozen sections fix longer than 10 minutes to
ensure good adherance to slide and fixed proteins.

You can proceed with a PAS stain just as you do a paraffin section, at room
temperature.

Is the 10% acid glacial acetic or hydrochloric acid? You did not specify
which one.  If you do acid/alcohol rinse, 0.5 to 1% HCl in 70%  for
regressive or Harris hematoxylin , or if you use acetic acid, 4% in water
is sufficient with progressive Gill type hematoxylin.