[Histonet] Superfrost Plus slides

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Sep 28 10:29:10 CDT 2005

Cathy,

A couple of things, for reorientation of sections, we use the Erie Polysine
slides (poly l lysine coating) that lets us manipulate sections on slide at
waterbath. Plus Charge are silane and once the section is attracted to
slide surface, you are done!

Do you use Tween or a detergent in your buffers/diluents before chromogen
application and throughout the staining procedure? If not what you may be
experiencing is hydrophobic bonding interactions between tissue and reagent
proteins (BSA, serums) and ionic interaction of chromogen to slide surface,
which the detergent will eliminate giving cleaner results. 0.05% Tween 20
is usually adequate to eliminate this problem.

We have used Erie's SuperFrost Plus Charge, their trademark and also
Polysine for section manipulation problems for years, and love them.  We
have used Plus charge slides stored long past expiration date without any
problems with IHC or other routine staining.  What other manufacturers do
for coating slides may vary from Erie products, one can only try them out
to see if they work well.

As for tissue section damage, can you describe in further detail please?  I
doubt this is caused by the slide coatings but some other problem.