[Histonet] antigen retrieval for IHC

Maria Mejia maria <@t> ski.org
Fri Sep 23 17:19:40 CDT 2005

Hello,

I believe it was sometime in June of this year that there was a
discussion on the
histonet regarding "the simplest form" of reversing the effects for formalin
fixation on tissue was to wash the tissue well (before) processing.

Well, I just read the article "Antigen retrieval IHC: Past, Present, &
Future by
Shan-Rong Shi, richard J. Cote & Clive R. Taylor (can google this
article). It's
a very interesting! Anyway, the article has a section titled non-heating
AR method stating (this) same simple method by (Puchtler & Meloan). It also
goes on to say that Elias JM (1990) adopted this method routinely by storing
deparaffinized in fresh changes of 10% sucrose/PBS @ 4C overnight (before)
IHC.

My questions are, does anyone know or tried this method used by Elias?
And, can anyone explain the mechanism of 10% sucrose/PBS play in this
AR method?

Just curious!

Maria Bartola Mejia
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute