[Histonet] RNAse decontamination in cryostats

Patrick Laurie plaurie <@t> benaroyaresearch.org
Fri Sep 23 14:28:35 CDT 2005

My question is similar to the current topic of discussion about
decontaminating cryostats, except that I need to remove any potential RNAse
activity.  I have been cleaning the disposable blade and the blade holder
with 70% alcohol, which hasn't been shown to eliminate the pernicious little
buggers, but the commercial products such as RNAse away (Ambion) etc, are
water based and would freeze on the blade/blade holder which would make me
suspicious of their effectiveness.  I am not able to continuously thaw the
cryostat and then use the products, as I would like to do daily.  I am
wondering if anyone has any ideas or potential products that would work.
Thanks

Patrick Laurie, HT (ASCP)
Neurogenomics Laboratory
Benaroya Research Institute