[Histonet] Let's Play solve this problem....

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> pathreflab.com
Fri Sep 23 12:10:00 CDT 2005

Tim,
Can you list the processing reagents? Are you using formalin or xylene
substitutes? Is this a new problem or a chronic one? Have you changed
vendors recently for your processing reagents or stains? How often are you
changing your processing and staining solutions? Have you changed your
processing times? Just wondering

Joe Nocito, BS, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Timothy
Macatee
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 9:49 AM
To: Histonetters
Subject: [Histonet] Let's Play solve this problem....

Histonetters Assemble!

I'm having a recurring problem with my H & E stained slides.  The staining
is weak, especially away from the edges of the tissue.  It looks almost like
there is still an opaque paraffin haze to the tissue.  It could be a
processing problem because it occurs more towards the middle of the section.
Is something not getting into the tissue far enough?  Is it Fixative (PFA or
Formalin), or processing reagents?  Or am I just whistling dixie?

Tim Macatee
NYU Medical Center
Research Histology Core