[Histonet] Frozen sections on cryoprotected CNS

Thomas Crowell Thomas.Crowell <@t> biogenidec.com
Tue Sep 20 15:06:33 CDT 2005

Dear neurohistology experts,

Our laboratory is experiencing great frustration in preparing 10 to 20
micron cryosections from rat and mouse brains that have been cryoprotected
in 30% sucrose.  The exact sequence of specimen preparation is perfusion
fix with 4%PFA, drop fix in PFA for an additional 8-10 hours, transfer to
30% sucrose in PBS, before embedding in OCT. Two events occur that make
sectioning difficult. 1:(  the OCT does not bond well to the sample
causing separation. 2 :( sections that are clearly laying flat on the
cryoplate blade holder become distorted and wrinkled when thaw mounted
onto the slide (Surgipath X-tra), and do not spread out well on the slide
as it dries leaving lots of folds and bubbles in the tissue section.

We have tried leaving the cryoprotected sample in OCT at 4C overnight to
no avail, and are considering trying some gradients of sucrose, say 5%,
10%, 15% and 20%.  As the neurohistolgy component to this laboratory has
dramatically increased, so has our frustration level; any help or
suggestions to this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tom Crowell
BiogenIdec
Cambridge, MA