[Histonet] HT student

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 17:37:57 CDT 2005

At our hospital lab, anyone we hire who is registry eligible has 1 1/2 years
in which to take and pass their exam (HT/HTL/CT/QIHC, etc). It is
stated/written when they are hired. If they do not take AND pass within that
time period, they are let go. We made it for 1.5 years, as that gives them
several attempts, in case they do fail. Everyone has taken and passed. Plus,
they know that once they pass the exam, they get bumped up to the next pay
level. Double incentive to take the exam early and pass it.

As for the commitment, I know of some labs that have offered my students to
pay sign-on bonuses, moving expenses, sometimes even out-right loans, with
the understanding (in writing, of course) that these are "free loans", if
the person comes to work for them for 1-2 (or 3) years. If the student
leaves before the 1-2-3 years, they must repay the loans - either the entire
amount, or the percentage left (in other words, if they agreed to work for 2
years (24 months), and they leave after 14 months, they had 10 months that
they did not fulfill the agreement, so have to pay back 10/24 of the "loan".

Just some thoughts.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48037