[Histonet] Arundo (Bamboo cane reeds)

Jo Dee Fish jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Tue Sep 13 09:18:00 CDT 2005

Dear Deanna,
Wow, this is interesting!  I am a clarinet player and I
guess I know a little about reeds, although clarinet reeds
are a bit different in shape from bassoon reeds, but they
are still made of bamboo.
One of the reasons that bamboo is used is that they are
flexible after soaking (the player walks around for about
15 minutes with the reed in their mouth to get the right
amount of flexibility) but still stiff enough to vibrate
when air is passed by them.  Every player soaks to their
own desired moisture depending on their ombusure (spelling
probably wrong!), and usually during long rest periods
during a concert they will resoak them or lick them often
to keep them moist.
All of this being said, I can't imagine anyone wanting to
embed their reeds in a known carcinogenic (resin) or an
alcohol (drying properties) or DMSO (will allow whatever
was on the reed last to enter the bloodstream of the
player when placed in the mouth).  Besides, embedding them
in a resin will not allow the soaking needed to make the
reed flexible.
The reeds are going to break down no matter how well they
are treated.  After all, they are plant matter and plant
cells break down.  He and his musician friends might want
to look into making their own reeds (I had seen websites
in the past that explained how to "do-it-yourself") and
possibly researching new materials to make the reeds from.
 Maybe they will discover something that will benefit all
musicians without giving them cancer of the tongue or
cheek!
Tell your friend good luck,
Jo Dee