[Histonet] Arundo (Bamboo cane reeds)

Anne Van Binsbergen vanann702 <@t> skmc.gov.ae
Tue Sep 13 07:16:42 CDT 2005

Personally, I would not put anything with DMSO plus resin in MY mouth -
that's for sure
Will not use the stuff in my lab - all wax has to be DMSO free!!

Do a web search - it's a 'carrier' and helps the wax to penetrate tissue
and can also assist the wax/polymers to be absorbed into the skin.
Unless of course you wear gloves - but not all of us wear them 100%of
the time when handling wax.

- so the way I understand, it will 'assist the penetration' of what ever
needs to penetrate - which is okay as long as that substance is
desirable, like an emollient or a moisturizer!!!!
;-)
Annieinarabia

-----Original Message-----
From: Snider, Deanna [mailto:dsnider <@t> shrinenet.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 3:58 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Arundo (Bamboo cane reeds)

Hello netters!  This is an odd one.... But I need whatever input you may
have.
I have a co worker, who is a bassoonist,( also has a biology degree)  He
and
a group of musicians have been trying to figure out a way to increase
the
life and use of the reeds used on the Bassoon.  They are handmade and
quite
pricey, and last only about a week.

They have been trying to embed these reeds in LR White resin + etoh. He
says
they have had little success.  He also asked about something called
DMSO.
Does anyone know what he is talking about?  Are there any histologists
here
who deal with plants?  Wouldn't he need to infiltrate this material?
The
reeds are approx .05- 1.3 mm.  Whatever is used cannot add thickness to
the
reed and must be safe for them to put in their mouth when they play.  (
I am
lost!)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated......I told him I would post
this and see what people may know...
Shriners Hospital for Children
Research Dept.
Cincinnatti, Oh
513-872-6388

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail communication and any attachments
may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients.  If you are not the intended recipient, (or
authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that
you
have received this communication in error and that any review,
disclosure,
dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is
prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all
copies
of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by
reply
e-mail or telephone (813) 281-0300.