Cresyl violet. Was [Histonet] (no subject)

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Sep 7 11:09:34 CDT 2005

You identify your dye as cresyl violet acetate.
Does the bottle of dye powder carry a little label
indicating that the batch was certified by the
Biological Stain Commission (BSC)? If your dye
is not from a certified batch it may be no good.

The cresyl violet name has been attached to a variety
of mixtures of cationic oxazine dyes. See Conn's
Biological Stains for more information. Certified cresyl
violet will always work as a Nissl stain if it's used
in the technique with which it was tested in the BSC's
lab. This has been published on various occasions,
most recently by Penney et al (2002) in
Biotechnic & Histochemistry 77:237-275.

The second of the two cresyl violet methods in
Freida Carson's textbook (which you cite in your
email) is closely similar to the BSC's testing
technique. Both procedures are explained in detail
there (pp 159-161), with colour photos of the desired
result.

You are using cryostat sections rather than
paraffin. The staining may become more controllable
if you take the slides to 100% alcohol and back to
water before staining.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada