[Histonet] sentinel biopsies

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 13:45:41 CDT 2005

This is a difficult question. Our advisors in radiation here assure us the dose is quite minimal and does not require precautions. They say the exposure is similar to walking down the street ( I am guessing the street is next to a nuclear facility).
We handle these as routine specimens,  cut  frozens and take no special percautions. Below is a consensus article from the Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology that covers this topic.

This article recommends a variety of precautionary steps.
Fitzgibbons, P, et al. Recommendations for Handling Radioactive Specimens Obtained

by Sentinal Node Biopsy
The American Journal of Surgical Pathology 24(11):1549 -155, 2000.

I do not have a good answer to this question. I would hate to see people taking a lot of
 unnecessary precautions, on the other hand, I hope my other hand doesn't fall off!

Stephen

Stephen Peters M.D.
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Hackensack University Medical Center