[Histonet] xylene substitutes

yasushi nakagawa nakagawa <@t> umn.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:02:37 CDT 2005

Hi all,
I am wondering how good xylene replacements are compared with xylene.
We use mouse brain sections (mostly 20um-thick cryosections, and some
thicker sledge sections) and do immunostaining with cy-2/-3/-5 as
well as Alexafluor conjugated secondary antibodies, GFP/RFP/CFP
detection, and DAB reaction/Nissl staining. I wonder if someone knows
long-term signal (color and fluorescence) retention and tissue
quality when you use xylene substitutes before DPX mounting. I find
some in EM Sciences catalog and would like to ask you if you have
recommendations for particular products.
Thank you.

Yasushi Nakagawa
Department of Neuroscience
Stem Cell Institute