[Histonet] decalcifying solutions for skeletochronology

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 09:48:24 CDT 2005

The decalcifying solution that you may end using (after any standard recipe you can find in any good histology manual) will depend on the type of bone you want to decalcify and what details you want to preserve.
EDTA will give you the most details, but it will take longer; sulfuric acid will decalcify faster but will destroy almost any detail.
The weaker the acid (lique citric) the slower the process but the more detail you will preserve; and an inverse correlation you will find with the stronger the acid.
I hope this will help you to sort out your options.
Rene J.

Malcolm McCallum <Malcolm.McCallum <@t> tamut.edu> wrote:
Hi,
I am having some students do various skeletochronology projects with amphibians and reptiles. I could just buy some decalcifying solution, but we have so many acids, I figured I would make some. Any good recipes out there for decalcifying bone w/o heating?

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Texas A&M University Texarkana