[Histonet] decalcifying solutions for skeletochronology

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Oct 12 23:57:47 CDT 2005

Dear Dr McCallum,

Every book in the field of histotechnology contains
several recipes for decalcifying. The calcified material
can be removed by dissolving in a suitable acid (usually
hydrochloric or formic) or by chelation with a suitable
anion (usually citrate or EDTA). The choice of method is
based on the requirements of the investigation.

If you are in doubt about choosing a method, ask the
internet for references rather than recipes.
There are scores of books and hundreds of papers!
A solid place to start searxhing the literature is
Pearse's Histochemistry.

John A. Kiernan MB, ChB, PhD, DSc
Professor, Dept of Anatomy & Cell Biology
The University of Western Ontario
London, Canada.