[Histonet] formalin precipitate/Iron artifact

Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon Nov 21 03:17:59 CST 2005

Hello Captain, how was the 'away team'? Did you see alien life?

If Gayle says it's so, then it's so; she's always right. I did issue a
warning with my flight of fancy. Meg sends her love...............

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Marshall
Terry Dr,Consultant Histopathologist
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 5:17 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] formalin precipitate/Iron artifact

Am I in a parallel universe?

Iron from a few seconds in a stainless steel needle?
Is this some soluble iron salt? If so how does it survive watery
fixation and processing?
Is it insoluble iron? If so what is it doing on the surface of stainless
steel?
Saundra Johnson did not describe it as particulate. Why is everyone
assuming it is so?

Surely what is being described is simply an edge artefact which is seen
*very* commonly on the edges of liver biopsies stained with Perl's. It
is a faint blush - no more, and the clue to its being an artefact is
that it is non-particulate and at the edge. PAS sometimes shows a
similar phenomenon.

Beam me up Scottie.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England