[Histonet] formalin precipitate/Iron artifact

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 08:24:35 CST 2005

Saundra:
  Let me see if I can be of some help. Emmel (1964) quoting Mallory wrote that formalin solutions can produce a brown-black finely crystaline precipitate from laked hematoxylin that can be eliminated by treating sections for 30 min. in a 0.5% ammonia water sol. in 75% ethanol. Liver is more compact than bone marrow and perhaps the action of the fixative will be different and you will not find the ppdo. in bone marrow.
  I don't think that it would "harm" trying to see if the precipitate you found can be eliminated with the weak ammonia in ethanol which will point to the source of the problem.
  Also, did you begin to have the problem only after you started recycling your fixative? If that is the case, there you will have a lead to finding the cause.
  By the way, I would never ever recycle formalin fixatives, too toxic a procedure!
  "Disclaimer": perhaps I am also in the "talking rubbish" realm, as Kemlo pointed before me!
  Rene J.

"Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology" <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk> wrote:
  Could it be from the needle? Are needles made of iron? Am I talking
rubbish?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Saundra
Johnson
Sent: 18 November 2005 12:41
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] formalin precipitate/Iron artifact

I am having a problem with needle core liver Bx. The iron stains has a
funny blue artifact staining around the peripheral. Bone marrows and
other
tissues with Iron stains do no exhibit this. We recently started
recycling
our zink formalin with Creative Waste Managment's filitering system but
make
the correct adjustments as instructed. Additionally, there is a slight
precipate left in the retort chamber at the end of processing,even after
the
clean cycle. We have a 50% alcohol after the formalin and then go to
95%.
Any suggestions with these two problems and are they related to
recycling of
formalin

Saundra Johnson
Histology-IHC Supervisor
Sarasota Pathology

****
SARASOTA PATHOLOGY CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in
this E-Mail message may be privileged, confidential, and protected under

applicable law and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
en-
tity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or
the
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. It is strictly
prohi-
bited from using the internet email system to send messages with patient

identifiable information per HIPAA Privacy regulations and Sarasota
Patho-
logy policy. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message.