[Histonet] Slide Adhesion;toenail for fungus stain

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 12:35:43 CST 2005

If the toenails are well processed (which in its turn will require an alkaline "digestion" before processing until the toenail is pliable) they will usually stay in the positive slide.
  Have you tried adding carpenter's yellow glue mixed in the water bath (about 0.5% sol.)?
  Another thing, we used PAS to detect fungi (they stain fantastic) GMS is too "violent" for this type of so "capriceous" specimen. Would you give it a try to PAS for fungi in trying to circunvent this problem?
  Just a thought!
  Rene J.

Christine Tambasco <immrstambo <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear John,

I have a lot of trouble getting toenails to stay on the slide,
especially doing the GMS stain for fungus. I have used Poly-L-Lysine
coated slides, probe slides and even Elmers glue. I would be very
interested in a slide that could keep the toenail attached. Thanks for
R&R.

Christine Tambasco, HT (ASCP)

St. Mary's Hospital Laboratory

Amsterdam, New York 12010