[Histonet] Bone marrow unspecific staining

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:56:19 CST 2005

Bone is FAMOUS for being tricky to work with so
everything must be done with patience :) Here are
my new batch of thoughts based on your problems:

- Do you have a picture of the background??? Is it specific or diffuse?
- Is your rabbit primary an antiserum or a affini-pure antibody?
- Is your sheep anti-rabbit cross adsorbed against cow tissue?
- What species was your anti-rabbit secondary made in?
- Bone marrow is filled with cells of
hematopoietic origin which have a lot of
endogenous peroxidases as well as Fc receptors
which may bind to your primary antibody (or
secondary for that matter). This is why isotype
controls and a serum block is so necessary. So,
what serum have you been using for blocking?
- Why are you using tyramide? Is this necessary for your antigen?
- Have you titrated the primary at different
dilutions and at different times for incubation?

I doubt that the PFA is the problem as I
routinely work with PFA fixed murine BM samples
and don't have any issues but how long are you
fixing for?
You do the fixation *after* EDTA decal correct?