[Histonet] Bone marrow unspecific staining

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 08:50:28 CST 2005

Although I cannot be absolutely sure, for me it seems that perhaps the problem may reside in the paraformaldehyde fixation. Do you have to use it? Could you use another fixative in another parallel sample just to try to find out?
Just a thoght!
Rene J.

Mikael Niku <mikael.niku <@t> helsinki.fi> wrote:
Andrea and Rene, thanks for your comments. I'm sorry for being a bit
unspecific with my unspecificity question :)

Some more details on the problem:

- Seems to be caused by unspecific antibody binding, but not a specific
property of this primary ab
- Primary antibody works very well with other tissues
- Also other primaries (and secondary alone) show unspecific staining
with BM
- Not caused by endogenous biotin, peroxidase, or autofluorescence (done
enough controls)

And some more details on the protocol:

- Bovine BM tissue samples decalcified with EDTA, or cell samples
embedded in agar
- Paraformaldehyde fixation
- HIER (glycine-HCl pH 3) + Tween-20 permeabilization + mild protease
digestion
- For peroxidase-based protocol, biotin block (tried also peroxidase
block, doesn't help)
- Serum block
- Rabbit primary antibody (overnight +4C)
- Sheep secondary antibody (biotinylated or fluorescent)
- For biotinylated secondary, tyramide amplification & DAB reaction,
hematoxylin counterstain
- For fluorescent secondary, Sudan Black B for autofluorescence suppression
- Embedding with Faramount

--

Mikael Niku URL: www.helsinki.fi/~mniku/
University of Helsinki Dept. Basic Veterinary Sciences

- Mitäkö mieltä olen länsimaisesta sivistyksestä?
Minusta se olisi erinomainen ajatus!
- Gandhi