[Histonet] microwave processing

Kaye Ryan ryakay <@t> shands.ufl.edu
Tue May 24 11:47:52 CDT 2005

Hi Jesus,

We have been doing the microwave processing for a while now and have
seen no change in the IHC staining patterns at all.  As well, our
routine H&E was not altered in any way.  The TAT cannot be beat and the
cutting of the tissues is much easier.  I have only had this "chatter"
issue come up since a hospital  merged with our lab several months ago.

Kaye Ryan
Histology Manager/Educational Coordinator
Rocky Point Laboratories
265-0111, 72093

>>> "Jesus Ellin" <JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org> 05/24/05 11:35 AM >>>
I was wondering our Pathologist is wanting to go to this microwave
technology and we have budgeted for 2 new processors one microwave and
one that it the conventional type.  My question would be that how many
people out there are doing microwave processing and has anyone seen a
discrepancy with immunos or specials due to the microwave processing?

Jesus Ellin
Yuma Regional Medical Center

>>> "Kaye Ryan" <ryakay <@t> shands.ufl.edu> 05/24/05 04:53AM >>>
We have begun processing tissues using the microwave processor.  For
the
most part, everything we process turns out beautifully but we seem to
be
having a problem with small endoscopic biopsies.  We have begun seeing
chatter but it appears to only be in the neoplastic part of the biopsy.

I know that normally chatter is due to cutting techniques or
over-drying
of the tissue but we take the extra steps to ensure the blocks are
appropriately cut.  Since it seems to be localized to the neoplastic
area I was wondering if this could be due to the microwave processing.

We occasionally had this problem with routine processing but only
occasionally.  Everything else cuts very well.  Has anyone heard of or
experienced similar problems with microwave processing or can you
offer
some advice or tips as to how to troubleshoot this problem