[Histonet] billing question

LINDA MARGRAF LINDA.MARGRAF <@t> childrens.com
Fri May 6 08:27:55 CDT 2005

Our practice would be to charge the intraoperative consultation 88329
and a touch preparation 88161. As this is a biopsy and not an aspirate,
I don't think that the fine needle aspirate charges would be
appropriate.
Linda Margraf MD
Histonet administrator

Director of Anatomic Pathology
Children's Medical Center of Dallas

>>> "Janice A Mahoney" <jmahoney <@t> alegent.org> 5/5/2005 5:47:18 PM >>>
Actually I think the apropriate CPT code for this is 88172 or 88173
Cytopathology, evaluation of fine needle;  immediate cytohistological
study to determine adequacy of specimen  (88173 for interp and report).
These FNA codes can get very confusing.
Jan
Omaha

>>> "Bonnie Whitaker" <bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com> 05/05/2005 5:35:03
PM >>>
Hi All,

Many of you have a lot more CPT coding/billing experience than I do,
and
maybe you can help me out.  We are in the midst of a debate about
billing
for determining specimen adequacy on a liver bx, or similar u/s guided
needle bx.  On at least one occaision the pathologist has done a touch
prep
to determine if the target lesion had been sampled.  How should these
be
billed?  My opinion is as an 88329, even though the procedure is in
radiology, not the OR.  Everyone does not agree with this.  What do you
all
think?

Thanks!

Bonnie Whitaker