[Histonet] Cold acetone

GUTIERREZ, JUAN juan.gutierrez <@t> christushealth.org
Wed May 4 05:06:50 CDT 2005

Just make sure your freezer is explosion proof!!!  There was an article in HISTOLOGIC about a freezer blowing up in the middle of the night because of flammable fumes accumulating inside.  The pictures in the article were pretty scary.  Contact SAKURA for a copy of the article.

Juan C. Gutierrez, HT(ASCP)
Histology Laboratory Supervisor
(210)704-2533

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.  Long live free speech!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bruijntjes, J.P.
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:39 AM
To: Joe Nocito; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cold acetone

Steve

I've used cold acetone (-20) to fix tissues. First of all the acetone
was cooled down to 4 degrees in the refrigerator, the tissues were
collected and placed in the cold acetone, 15 minutes later the jar was
placed in a freezer (+ - 20 degrees) for another 2 hours. I used it to
fix and embed rat mammary glands using the AMEX method about 15 years
ago in order to do some immunostaining with all kind of different
monoclonal keratins (with good results).

Joost