[Histonet] cutting angle

Roxanne Soto GODSGIRLNOW <@t> msn.com
Tue May 3 17:32:21 CDT 2005

Anyone from TBS out there want to chime in on this?  As the microtome is an Olympus..........
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vinnie Della Speranza<mailto:dellav <@t> musc.edu>
  To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> ; godsgirlnow <@t> msn.com<mailto:godsgirlnow <@t> msn.com> ; JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org<mailto:JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org>
  Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:22 PM
  Subject: RE: [Histonet] cutting angle

  Of course, Joyce's remark is right on target.

  when I first saw your post Roxanne, I wasn't quite sure if I understood entirely what you were asking.
  for example, do you use the same blades in your new job as you used in the previous lab? if the answer is yes, then it is very unlikely that the angles used could be so different and both yield acceptable results.

  the angle set on the microtome is directly related to the facet angle on the blade and of course this can vary between manufacturers.

  in essence, you must find the correct angle to a degree through trial and error until your sections  have minimal compression. if the sections are rolling off the blade smoothly and with little compression, you are at the correct angle for that brand and model blade.

  I am also not convinced that the angle setting between microtomes, especially between different brands of microtomes, are all that precise. what I mean is that if you used an angle of 10 on a Leica for example, you might need an angle of 8 or 12 on a microm. I don't know what the actual angle settings should be but you understand my point. even with a number of microtomes from the same manufacturer I've seen it occasionally necessary where the optimal setting on one might a  degree or two away from another. I believe these settings are intended as general guides. the ultimate proof is in the ease of sectioning and the quality of the sections you are getting from a particular machine.

  back to Joyce's remark. as long as you are able to attain the quality required by your new employer, it matters little what angle setting you are using.

  Vinnie Della Speranza
  Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
  Medical University of South Carolina
  165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
  Charleston, SC 29425
  Ph: 843-792-6353
  fax: 843-792-8974

  >>> "Weems, Joyce" <JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org<mailto:JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org>> 05/03/05 03:48PM >>>
  I think you should be allowed to cut at whatever angle you produce the best sections!
  My 2 cents....Joyce:>)