[Histonet] cutting angle

Bill Sinai bills <@t> icpmr.wsahs.nsw.gov.au
Tue May 3 17:31:23 CDT 2005

Vinnie,

I agree with you.  We have several diferent vintage Leicas and the markings
for the "angle" are in fact reversed.  One reads 0-20 top to bottom the
other 20-0 top to bottom.  Like you I have told the microtomists to use the
angle which for them produces the best ribbon.  I have spoken to several
mictotome manufacturers over the years and they agree these marks do not
mark "angles" as such merely a guide to where you should set your knife.  We
have several Cryostats (different brands) and there is no consistency
amongst these either, two have no numbers on the knife angle guide.
As I have been a histotechnologist for over forty years and have cut many
sections in wax and other substances (including resin, celloidin etc) using
many types of knife (Ralph, Tungsten carbide, carbon steel and disposable) I
have found that for most conditions the "perfect angle is one where the
block only just clears the back of the knife.  Even using a sledge microtome
for the celloidin sections (whole lobes of lung and hemisheres of brain) the
same rule applies.

There is some great material written about knife clearance angles and the
facet angles of knives.  Baker and Silverton in Introduction to Medical
Laboratory Technology suggest 1-6 degress clearance.  Bancroft and Stevens
in Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques recommend a clearance
angle of 3-4 degrees.

When teaching students microtomy we begin by setting all the mictotomes at 7
on the scale then do minor adjustments according to the tissue being cut.
However, the choice of "angle" is the users if the sections come off the
knife well.

Bill Sinai
Laboratory Manager
Tissue Pathology, ICPMR