[Histonet] mycoplasma staining

Alicia Henn Ph.D. ahenn <@t> vaccinex.com
Mon May 2 13:29:56 CDT 2005

Hi All,
    I use a bisbenzimide stain for routine mycoplasma detection of cell
cultures.  Lately, I've had problems with a bright blue haze covering
dimly-stained cells. I've tried changing every step of the stain, but still
get blue fog. I fix with methanol/acetone (I've tried formalin as well)
stain the cells in chamberslides or in solution (for non-adherent cells) for
30 minutes, wash, air-dry chamberslides, mount with anti-fade mounting
medium (I've tried several). I can visualize fluorescent beads with
exquisite detail, so my microscope is OK. Anyone had any experience with
this? I don't want to have to go back to PCR-based detection as that was a
nightmare.

Alicia Henn, Ph.D.
Vaccinex, Inc.