[Histonet] Re:Frozen Spleen w/bubbles

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:04:08 CST 2005

Jo Dee,

I have questions first.

What species is the spleen from?

How thick are the sections?

What temperature are you sectioning at?  i.e. knife
temperature?  Block/tissue temperature?

How to you pick up a FS onto the slide?  Slide to section so it comes onto
glass surface, another method?

What kind of blades are you using?

Are you sections perfectly flat under antiroll device or by brush method,
whichever you use?

What kind of slides are you using?  Plus Charge?

Before IHC do you air dry your sections at RT or overnight before fixation
with what????

How are you fixing your spleens?

Do you use a peroxidase blocker that has a high concentration of hydrogen
peroxide?

At 03:30 PM 3/30/2005, you wrote:
>I am cryosectioning unfixed fresh frozen spleens and when they are
>sectioned I can see a billion bubbles under the section.  Can anyone explain-
>1.  What is happening?
>2.  How can I avoid them?
>3.  Is there a fixation procedure that can help?
>The sections are falling off of the slide during staining.
>Thank you for your help,
>Jo Dee
>**********
>
>Jo Dee Fish
>Research Technologist III
>Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology