[Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome

Alan Bright abright <@t> brightinstruments.com
Tue Mar 29 08:59:26 CST 2005

A sliding microtome has the knife moving over the specimen to section,
the sledge microtome has the specimen moving under the knife to section.
Not much difference  either way you would think, but there is, as with a
sliding microtome the knife is only held on one end, on a sledge
microtome the knife is mainly clamped on both ends, but can also be held
on one end too. Therefore the sledge is more conventional in its cutting
action and its knife clamping arrangement, and much more robust for a
wider range of specimens hard and soft. My last point is that I do not
think sliding microtomes have retraction.

Best Regards

Alan Bright

Bright Instrument Co.Ltd.
St Margaret's Way