[Histonet] Pneumocystis carnii staining

Bartlett, Jeanine jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Mon Mar 28 16:36:26 CST 2005

Does your Pneumoscystis carinii control stain properly or is it the diagnostic tissue and the control?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Karen Harmon
	Sent: Mon 3/28/2005 5:25 PM
	To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
	Subject: [Histonet] Pneumocystis carnii staining

	We use a GMS stain to demonstrate pneuomcyctis with successful results about 50% of the time.   We have taken this procedure apart step by step, solution by solution and are at our wits end to determine the cause for failure.  I can assure you that over the past 3 weeks, there is no variable that we have not tried.    The ironic part is we never have a problem  demonstrating fungi with the GMS, in fact, we never had any problems at all with other silver procedures.

	Can anyone help with our hit and miss problem with pneumocystis?

	Karen Harmon
	HT (ASCP)