[Histonet] B5 Fixative - postfixation??

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Mar 25 12:16:19 CST 2005

B5 is a near-neutral fixative (pH 5.8-6.0) contrived
to combine the best properties of neutral formaldehyde
and mercuric chloride.

Formaldehyde penetrates and stops autolysis rapidly, but
its reactions with proteins are slow. Structural
stabilization (hardening) takes days. Tissue thoroughly
fixed (cross-linked) by formaldehyde often shows
differential shrinkage artifacts - abnormal spaces around
cells etc - that occur during processing into paraffin.

Mercuric chloride penetrates the tissue slowly, coagulating
proteins instantaneously as it moves in. The coagulation
has a finer "grain" than that of proteins coagulated by
alcohol or picric acid, and cytoplasmic organelles
(secretory granules, and even mitochondria) are preserved
well enough to be seen by light microscopy.

B5 (unlike most mercuric chloride & formaldehyde mixtures)
does not contain acetic acid to coagulate chromatin into
textures characteristic of particular cell-types. B5 is
primarily a fixative of cytoplasm that provides crisp and
informative staining.

It doesn't make sense to move a specimen from
phosphate-buffered formaldehyde into a mercuric &
formaldehyde mixture such as B5. If the tissue is
already fixed (cross-linked) by formaldehyde, later
reactions of structural proteins with HgCl2 are
unlikely to improve anything structurally. Some
staining properties might be changed for the better,
but it's easier to treat hydrated slides with
HgCl2 before staining. Treatment with picric acid
has much the same effect, and is commonly done
prior to staining sections of formaldehyde-fixed
material by trichrome methods.

A specimen fixed in B5 is not going to be improved
by moving it into an aqueous formaldehyde solution.

 John Kiernan
 London, Canada
An anonymous person (- - <emerald_lake77 <@t> yahoo.com>)