[Histonet] JB Fixative

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:53:12 CST 2005

Is there someone selling this fixative under the name, JB fixative?  After
Jay Beckstead, this fixative was later used by

Nitta et al, Cell Vision, Improved in situ immunodetection of leukocytes on
paraffin embedded mouse spleen 4(1):73-80, 1997
  (a defunct journal) to avoid any kind of formalin fixation for murine CD
markers.

Nitta never called it JB, but I really like this acronym/name!!!   This is
an excellent publication to read as it also refers to antibodies they use,
vendor, along with tissue processing and IHC method used.  We repeated IHC
results nicely using Alk Phos IHC method.

I have not seen this fixative referred to as JB fixative.  BD Pharmingen
refers to and sells it under the name Zinc Fixative but do us (or have done
in the past) no favors with their name for this "JB"  fixative.  People
tend to immediately confuse it with Zinc formalin - a case of similar names
but very dissimilar fixatives, particularly when formalin is NOT wanted for
these murine CD markers.   Maybe BD Pharmingen is looking in, and will do
us a favor with a distinct renaming - JB fixative!!   It is still called
Zinc fixative in their online catalog although they did add "formalin
free".  Ho Hum!

Our lab always called it ZincTRIS fixative (ZnTRIS for short) to
(hopefully) not confuse it with zinc formalin, and I plan to change it to
JB - so tidy!

***Nitta indicated fixation of murine tissues could be as long as 72 hours
- rather than just 48 hours.
Although JB/PE tissues are touted to give tissue morphology comparable to
FFPE tissues the fixative can present some crunchy tissue blocks, rather
dry and friable noticed at sectioning. We had to do long ice water soaking
before sectioning.  It gives adequate morphology but not comparable per
previous comment from our experience.  Also, be careful about placing too
large a tissue in this fixative.  If the tissue is NOT totally fixed by JB,
then 70% alcohol and processing alcohols will finish the fixation for you,
not ideal for IHC purposes - this happened to a colleague of mine when she
tried JB fixative.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor