[Histonet] RE: How people get into histology, and what education

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Mon Mar 7 14:08:32 CST 2005

Megan, Probably on the order of  99 percent of histotechs "fall" into the
field. I travel around a lot and it is very, very rare to meet someone from
the US who went through a formal program (and there are 4-year as well as
2-year programs). This is both a benefit and curse for histotechnology. A
benefit because it means literally anyone with very basic biology and
chemistry background can get into it, and it draws in a very diverse group
of people. A curse because it means that few of those histotechs have the
background to become well-versed in the field (as evidenced by the quantity
of very basic questions on Histonet). In the past most histotechs did not
become certifed by ASCP. I think that is changingnow , but most still only
learn what they need for the job at hand. And most people in school never
hear about the profession because of the lack of programs. Because of that
the field does not draw well from the pool of people that are available for,
and would be interested in this kind of work. Of course the current shortage
is great for those in the field now - higher pay, pick your job, etc.

You're right that for most hisotechnology work a AA degree is fine. In fact,
it may be better because there are more openings for bench workers than for
supervisory level people. It just depends on your goals. Even the vaunted
Genentech biotech company has found that hiring AA-degree people is better
for their business because they stay longer. They used to have a policy of
only hiring BA/BS at a minimum, but found turnover was way too high for
those people (average of two years). AA-degree people, for whatever reason,
are more interested in staying in one job longer.

It seems there is an annual Histonet discussion of the merits of on-the-job
training (OJT) verses academic training. Of course, both are necessary and
both contribute to success. We can find examples of both doing better or
worse than others in the field. I've seen both groups do very well, and can
tell horror stores of labs with the worst of each. The point is that the
vast majority of  histotechs fall into the position and  learn on the job.
But, from my own experience in working with may people, in general, those
with more academic training are going to have the background to learn new
things faster and maybe do better in more advanced technologies. For certain
jobs that will be a key advantage. My advice to anyone in the field is to
take your job description as a suggestion only and don't be tied down to it.
Learn everything there is to do in the lab and take the opportunities as
they come. It will be a much more interesting job and can take you to some
interesting places!

Tim Morken