[Histonet] Silly question about deparaffinization

Sebree Linda A. la.sebree <@t> hosp.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 29 09:13:44 CDT 2005

We deparaffinize in 3 changes of xylene, 2 changes of 100% ETOH, 1 95%
ETOH and 1 70% ETOH, all for 3 minutes each.  We never skimp on the
xylene times but have been known to shorten the ETOH times if we
manually agitate the slides and are in a real hurry.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Clinical & Research Laboratory
DM223-VA
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596
FAX:  (608)262-7174

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Eva C
Andersson
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:57 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Silly question about deparaffinization

Good morning,
I am probably asking a very silly question but I recently spoke to
someone about deparaffinization and hydration. I found that the times
that they use and the times that we use are very different. So my
question to you is this: What lenghts of time do you use for Xylenes,
100% alcohol, 95% alcohol and 70% alcohol?
It is about deparaffinising charged (+) slides. So nothing fancy. Just
curious. Maybe I can cut back some on the timed that we use which are:
30min Xylenes, 10min 100%, 10min 95% and 6min 70%. Thanks for your