[Histonet] xylene vs. xylene substitutes

hymclab hymclab <@t> hyhc.com
Wed Jun 22 13:05:43 CDT 2005

We have been using Thermo's Histosolve for approx. 12 years now and love it.

I have another Xylene related question to pose:

What is everyone doing with their Xylene waste if you don't have a recycler?
We don't have much but what we do have we use a 5 gal. catch can with a
saftey lid.  When that is full we have housekeeping take it and dump it in a
55 gal. drum.  When the drum is full we have a waste hauler come and take it
away.  Risk Management is questioning our decision to have housekeeping
transfer it into the drum.  I would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks,
Dawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Mrosla, Tina M [mailto:tmmrosla <@t> healtheast.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] xylene vs. xylene substitutes

I was wondering what kind of experience people have had with xylene
substitutes. I work in a medium-volume hospital laboratory that would like
to change to a xylene substitute wherever we can without compromising
quality. It probably would have no effect on the tissue processors, but how
about the automatic stainer (I should mention that we have a Sakura tape
coverslipper)?  Hemo-D is not an option because some employees have
hypersensitivity to it, but how about Americlear or any others?

Tina Mrosla
tmmrosla <@t> healtheast.org

The information included in this e-mail message, including any attachments,
is intended only for the person or organization to which it is addressed.
This e-mail message may contain information that is privileged or
confidential. If you receive this e-mail message and are not the intended
recipient or responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, you may not use, disseminate, distribute or copy the information
included in this e-mail and any attachments. If you received this e-mail
message by mistake, please reply by e-mail and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments. Thank you.