[Histonet] Frozen sections for IF

Joe Nocito JNocito <@t> Pathreflab.com
Mon Jun 20 17:53:03 CDT 2005

Cathy,
welcome to histology. My experience with tissue frozen in OCT is that it can
last for about a year, if the tissue doesn't go through a freeze-thaw cycle,
like in those no-frost freezers.
Slides always should be stained as soon as possible after cutting. The most
we ever let slides sit for IF is over a 3 day weekend. -80 is always better
than -20. We cut control slides for IF two months ago and the tissue started
loosing its antigenicity 6 weeks after at -20. Good luck

Joe Nocito, BS, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Catherine
Stanecki
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 1:02 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen sections for IF

Hi Histonetters,

  So, I'm pretty new to histology and I have several questions about frozen
sections.  I would really appreciate your help!  First of all, how long are
frozen tissues good for after freezing in tissue tek OTC?  Is it better to
store at -20 C or -80 C?  Also, how long are sections on slides good for
before you have stained and how should you store them (i.e. in a slide box
in the freezer)?  How far in advance can you cut your sections before
staining them?

  Thanks so much for you help!

Cathy