[Histonet] RE: Xylene Substitutes[Scanned]

Rogerson Kemlo ELHTPathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Mon Jun 20 17:53:03 CDT 2005

<sniffs xylene deeply>

I'm relaxed, a bit light headed but totally relaxed!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Rittman, Barry R [mailto:Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu]
Sent: 20 June 2005 15:35
To: histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Xylene Substitutes[Scanned]

I must in general agree with Chuck. I have not used any clearing agents
that I consider to be as good as xylenes.

I think that we are now in an era where the pendulum has swung away from
an almost total disregard for the use of chemicals to an era where we
are sometimes overly cautious. This is not just with chemicals but many
aspects in life.
While it is critical to be very careful in the use of all chemicals and
various practices (in the lab and at home)there is a point beyond which
we would never work in a lab in case we absorbed some chemical or even
leave the house in case we might get hit by a falling piece from an
aircraft.
When training in a lab we were taught to be aware of potential dangers
from chemicals, equipment and especially trainees. Safe practices should
not only be confined to the lab but should be a way of life for us all.
After all we are exposed to enough pollution without our adding to it.
If you cut your grass are you careful about not breathing exhaust fumes
or getting gasoline on your hands? It seems at times as if we are trying
to eliminate nature including us).
Does this mean that we should not be using chemicals to clean ovens, to
scrub sinks or to bleach clothes? I suggest that there is an acceptable
limit to all these substances and practices but in order be realistic we
always make ourselves fully aware of possible consequences of use.
I make such decisions every day that I drive in Houston.
Barry