[Histonet] Weighing specimens

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Tue Jun 7 16:55:20 CDT 2005

Formalin fixation causes both weight loss and specimen shrinkage,
mostly from extraction of tissue components. A 5% weight loss doesn't
sound surprising.
Maybe. How long have the specimens been in formalin, and are they
weighed after removal from the formalin and blotting to soak up the
excess formalin? Were they blotted before weighing in surgery?
This sort of question comes up in the ecological (especially
physiological ecology) literature all the time.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel
Supervisor, BBPIC microscopy facility