[Histonet] Processing with mesh cassettes

Fred Underwood funderwood <@t> mcohio.org
Tue Jun 7 09:41:27 CDT 2005

Hi Michelle,

I've not attempted this.  Perhaps if you exposed the cassettes to a
solution to reduce the surface tension of the screens.  Possibly putting
a small amount of a detergent in the first formalin.  Or dipping the
cassettes in a detergent solution before placing them on the processor.

Fred

>>> "Michelle Becker" <mbecker <@t> pathlabinc.com> 06/07/05 10:12AM >>>
We recently started using mesh cassettes for small biopsies, also
called
micromesh, histoscreen or micro biopsy cassettes, depending on the
manufacturer. The techs, as well the pathologists, love them.
Unfortunately, it has caused reagent carryover in our tissue processors
(VIP
3000 & Leica TP1050)after only one run.  The first reagent level
(formalin)decreases significantly; the 2nd reagent level(Prefer), as
well
the next 3 alcohol levels, have significant increases. The tissue
processor
used does not seem to make a difference. We run a 4 hour short program
with
vacuum for biopsies. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how
did you
resolve it?  I really hate to stop using something the techs and
pathologists love and actually agree on!
Thank-you.

Michele Becker, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Manager
Laboratory Corporation of America