[Histonet] Cytology Immuno's

rgrow <@t> bmnet.com rgrow <@t> bmnet.com
Wed Jul 20 09:26:31 CDT 2005

In our lab, we are making icc controls to mirror conditions for same type
of cytology specimen.  Normal tonsil, appendix, and skin (from a breast
reduction) are good controls for many IHC's.  We just call surgery and ask
them to send us some fresh when we see it on the schedule.  After gross
dictation and sectioning, we take positive charged slides and make touch
preps, smears, and swish a section in a thin prep bottle.  After slides
have dried, I package a few at a time in transport tubes, seal with
parafilm and place in a freezer.  The thin prep bottle is refrigerated. We
document the case number it was collected from, then validate.  When we
have an ICC on something we don't have cyto controls on, we use standard
FFPE controls.  So far, it has worked great.
Any comments?

We also use a daily stain validation sheet with these catagories:
acceptable, unacceptable, comments, signature, action taken, and tech.  One
side is for routine and special stains, flip over and the other side is for
IHC's.  We take to the pathologist in charge for that week with the first
slides of the day.

Renee Grow, BA., HT (ASCP)
rgrow <@t> bmnet.com
Histology Supervisor