[Histonet] loss of cells on cytology preps

Kirbiš Srebotnik Irena IKirbis <@t> onko-i.si
Wed Jul 20 04:49:44 CDT 2005

3000 ICC/per year are performed in our lab on cytospins (80%)or smears (20%),since 2001 all stainings are performed by Ventana Nexes immunostainer,we strictly use cytology samples/cytospins for positive and negative controls, prepared and fixed in the same manner as samples.
I strongly believe that FFPE sections are NOT APPROPRIATE controls for cytology samples
we prepare cytospins for controls from:
- leftovers of high cellular diagnostics samples
- cell lines (MCF-7, HeLa, SK-MEL)
- FNAB of resected tumours
we don't have ANY problems with loss of cells! not at all, nor with any background
Irena Srebotnik Kirbiš, MSc
Institute of Oncology
Dept. of Cytopathology
Zaloška 2
1000 Ljubljana
Slovenia
phone +386 1 522 3826
fax +38615879400

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 11:36 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] loss of cells on cytology preps

We have the same problems with controls and have to use our paraffin
sections for controls.  We also have an issue with loss of cells on
cytology preps.  Some are brought to us already stained and coverslipped
others in 95%. We air dry the slides and put them in the oven an hour
before staining  Since doing this I have had only one case where all the
cells washed off and one where some large patches washed off.  Antigen
retrieval is not performed on cytology preps. One of the pathologist is
vehemently opposed to placing the specimens on the autostainer, she
fells it blows the cells off. But slides hand stained are subjected to
more vigorous washing from the wash bottles.  Besides the problem of
cells washing off, she is on one side insisting on hand runs, the
manager is on the other saying absolutely no hand runs. With the volume
we have I would prefer they go on the autostainer. Any other ideas for
keeping the cells on the slides?

Rena Fail