[Histonet] Cytology Immuno's

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Tue Jul 19 10:20:03 CDT 2005

I use paraffin sections for positive controls and, yes, I consider it adequate for confirming that the test worked.  Obviously, an internal positive control is best, but is not always present.  Each laboratory needs to validate the individual antibodies on cytologic specimens using known cases.  In our experience, some antibodies don't work very well on alcohol-fixed cytology specimens and, therefore, should be used with caution.  I have not been able to confirm this, but I don't think "IVD" labels for antibodies used on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections apply when used on cytology specimens.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> Jean Gillson <jean.gillson <@t> elht.nhs.uk> 07/19/05 10:40AM >>>
Can I ask you all, what do you use as controls when doing ICC on cytology
cytospin preps or smears?  Since there isn't much sample, do you use
paraffin sections as positive controls and is that adequate control
measures?  We currently only use paraffin cytoblocks but considering ICC on
thin layer cytology preps and wondering what control material to use.
Thanks for your help.