[Histonet] aqueous mounting medium

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Jan 31 11:16:07 CST 2005

Amanda,

I have used the equivalent to Supermount, only it was the Biomeda Crystal
mount.  We did the liquid coverslip, generously over section, to let it set
up then mounted a permanent coverslip over that.  Worked
great.  Instructions tell you how to let this liquid coverslip dry before
putting a permanent coverslip over the top.

In general, we air dry our beta gal stained whole tissues,  then
counterstain with inhouse Nuclear fast red, rinse well with water,  air dry
and mount a coverslip with a permanent mounting media.  No problems.

We hate messy mounting media that cause coverslip glissading (slip sliding
around), and poor storage of goo that never sets up.

  At 09:38 AM 1/31/2005, you wrote:
>I have stained whole tissues for beta-galactosidase (X-gal) and am now
>cryosectioning the tissues. I have been fixing the sections in 4% PFA
>overnight at 4 degrees Celsius and cover slipping with 70% glycerol.
>Coverslipping with glycerol is a time-consuming pain in the butt so I've
>checked out glycerol vinyl alcohol aqueous (GVA) mounting solution (Zymed)
>and Supermount aqueous mounting medium (Biogenex) as alternatives. It
>appears that these products have not been tested with beta-gal staining,
>so I'm wondering if people use these products and/or  what people
>recommend. Thanks.
>

>Amanda MacFarlane, PhD
>Division of Nutritional Sciences
>Cornell University